Howard County Blog

A Blog on what is going on in Howard County

Friday, May 11, 2007

Update

So I have not posted in a week. I have been very focused on learning everything I need to know to to do a good job on the Columbia Council and doing a lot of in person listening. I also want to wait and reflect a little more on my first week on the board before posting on it. I will be writing more on this in the near future and asking your thoughts on specific items, but for now let me do a quick run down on the past week in CA world.


May 2nd - New Board Takes Office
May 4th and 5th - attended CA Board Retreat
May 6th - I went hiking on the Billy Goat Trail at Great Falls to collect my thoughts
May 7th- attended External Relations Committee
May 8th - attended Performance Oversight Committee
May 10th - served on the Planning and Strategy Committee

I am still collecting my thoughts on all of this. While I collect my thoughts please share with me your experience both good and bad with the functioning on the CA Board. How do you get your information of what CA is doing?

Labels:

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe you can tell me us this Evan, why is the vote for Board Chairman kept secret? After telling everyone she wants the Board to be more open, Barbara Russell then refuses to reveal who vote for who as Board Chairman. Seems somewhat humorous to me.

I would respect it if you also kept the overall roll call vote secret since that was the agreement among the Board members and you can't go against that, but would you be willing to indicate who you personally voted for as Board Chairman?

7:56 AM  
Blogger Evan said...

I don't think Barbara knows who voted for who. I don't for sure, though I can guess on nearly all. We used secret ballot voting. Maggie passed out ballots and we wrote our vote down and put the ballots in a bowl and they were counted. I gather that is how it always is done.

I voted for Barbara. In every meeting I have ever attended she has always been fair, kept her cool, and shown a very quick understanding of procedures and others political maneuvers. Tom in the end was the other candidate and he very quickly showed me I made the right choice.

10:31 AM  
Blogger Evan said...

Oh, and I think the Flier butchered the story you are referring to because it created the impression that Barbara had any power over how the vote was handled when she did not. She did not become chair until after the secret ballot vote and I think everyone would have attacked her for trying to force members to disclose who they voted for, since that would have come across as trying to identify who voted against her to punish them.

10:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Tom in the end was the other candidate and he very quickly showed me I made the right choice. "

Evan, good to see that you are immediately adopting the values and culture of the CA council.
It's really nice how very little some things change.

1:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm interested in more open information. There seems to be a culture in the CA that views public interest in CA activities with suspicion.

2:05 PM  
Blogger Evan said...

Actually I think I am being very understated by saying:

"Tom in the end was the other candidate and he very quickly showed me I made the right choice."

I am hoping we can move on, but I was asked for how I voted and I thought it was important to share.

4:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Secret votes are concerning. How can a community member vote on the record of members if the record is secret?

6:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home