Howard County Blog

A Blog on what is going on in Howard County

Friday, April 27, 2007

In the News

The Sun has a good article on last weekends Columbia elections.

The Flier also has a good article, though I must say I was a bit surprised my the sub-headline: "Slow-growth blogger joins election winners". I am a blogger, but I am not for slow-growth. Frankly, I would prefer a plan approved for downtown as soon as possible and I am for a re-developed downtown. I am however opposed to the sloppy development plan the county currently has on the table because I think it fails to have the infrastructure needed to meet the community's needs and it does not reflect the value structure of Columbia where people of all backgrounds can live next to each other.

That all being said the Flier had an editorial on me that I am ecstatic about :) It is not online for me to link to, but is on my listening sessions at the Bagel Bin. I am really looking forward to talk to everyone about any issue they see facing Columbia. It will be this Sunday from 10 am to 12 noon.

The editorial also ponders how I might use my blog now I am elected. I hope that it becomes a useful mechanism to have a open conversation where we can collectively search for the best solutions for challenges facing our community.

Labels: , ,

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lie down with dogs, get up with fleas.

8:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pearls are created by abrasion, and diamonds from pressure.

2:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gee, ecstatic about an article on yourself?

Perhaps some humility is in order.

2:45 PM  
Blogger B. Santos said...

Evan,

For the purpose of clarity, could you please provide your definition of a good article? A bad article.

Many thanks

3:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great news on the fliers complete turn around. I totally agree with this weeks opinion, it is nice to have someone who is going to setup time to listen to the people of their village.

However I will hold judgment on how you act from those conversations. Careful not to listen to an angry mob of 10, you do represent a village.

9:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you do not support slow growth, do you support well planned but very dense and fast growth?

10:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Santos, I think you are getting way to philosophical. This struck me as just a random blog post. You take this stuff too seriously.

11:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Evan,

I am unclear what distinction you made on the slow-growth point. Could you clarify?

6:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Unless you have ever run and lost or know someone very close who has run and lost, you won't be able to understand the Santos question.

6:51 PM  
Blogger B. Santos said...

Just a point in clarification. The punctuation in my 2:02 post is off. I wish to have Evan define what both a good article and a bad article are. I was pretty much indifferent to the article.

So please Evan, for the sake of clarity, could you please define a good article? A bad article?

much better.

Thanks again.

9:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"it fails to have the infrastructure needed to meet the community's needs"

Would you please also clarify the infrastructure needed?

11:08 AM  
Blogger Evan said...

I have posted extensively throughout this blog for over a year about the current plan lacking a road/transit infrastructure or parking to meet the communities needs. Check out this post for an example:

Recap Post

9:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, so it seems, from your 1/29/07 post anyway, that you believe the transit infrastructure will be insufficient to support the amount of additional construction now being proposed for Town Center.

Are you in favor of this new proposal to build 5,500 additional residences in Town Center, exceeding the design density of Columbia?

It seems the premise of your 1/29/07 post was a rough assumption about how much growth will occur over the next 30 years here and that that assumed growth would require additional transit capacity, but it ignored the actual slowdown in growth that has happened and continues to happen, as pointed out there in the comments.

So, other than the obvious environmental reasons, I don't quite get why you are jumping all the way to trying to figure out transit solutions when, because of this actual growth slowdown, it doesn't even seem there's a strong case for approving this additional density.

Better transit is fine, but it shouldn't be done just to facilitate unnecessary growth.

10:54 PM  
Blogger Evan said...

I am ecstatic that they helped let the community know I was doing my Bagel Bin listening session. I really enjoyed meeting the people of Kings Contrivance that chose to stop by.

3:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on winning the election. There are some good new members. Hopefully one will run for CE in 2010.

11:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home