Howard County Blog

A Blog on what is going on in Howard County

Friday, May 25, 2007

The CA Meeting

If I didn't have my sense of humor I think I would never get through the next two years. I just made it through my first full CA Board meeting. We made some slow progress and I think there is a lot of opportunity for this board really make a big difference if 1) some board members would stop attacking fellow board members (interestingly I have observed it is the board members that are first to shout for the need for civility that are the main ones trying to attack fellow board members) and 2) if we would develop a greater capacity to take action rather than postponing decisions.

Anyway here is a run down of some of what happened:

1) There is still a lot of disagreement over the Presidents Performance Goals. We will have a special public board meeting on Tuesday, May 29th at 7:30pm to hopefully finish them up. I will probably write more on this later.

2) The version of my Pool Sheds motion that was amended in committee was passed that says CA will prepare the ground and install the pool sheds that the CA Swim Teams need to store there gear if the Swim Team can find a way to purchace a shed and get RAC (i.e. architectural) approval.

3) My survey of pool usage to identify the causes of the parking problem at the pools was defeated.

4) My Online Searchable Database of Board Decisions went down on a 5-5 vote and was sent back to committee for more detail. Interesting all of the detail had been stripped from the proposal in committee this past time. I had used up my debate time on the motion by the time people were talking of needing more detail and was not recognized to answer these points as a result. I am not good at sitting on my hands and not being allowed to respond. I need to learn how to manage my two turns to speak better. I think I was getting better at it by the time we got to the performance goals, which was actually one of the later items we addressed.

5) The Board has fixed our committee structure to allow Vice Chairs to sit in if their Chair is absent on Board Operations Committee meetings. The Board Operations Committee is the committee of committee chairs that is suppose to manage the board and the boards relations with the President. The notion of whether the Board's overall Vice Chair can sit in for the Board's overall Chair if the Chair is absent from Board Operations Committee meetings was sent back to committee.

Labels:

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

On the civility thing, I've noticed the same thing from others who orate on the necessity. Puzzling.

On line searchable database?! That would be a remarkable achievement, and beneficial for multiple reasons, not the least of which is CA voter turnout.

7:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

1) What was the vote on pool usage survey?

2) Who voted how on your searchable database

3) "The notion of whether the Board's overall Vice Chair can sit in for the Board's overall Chair if the Chair is absent from Board Operations Committee meetings was sent back to committee."

I LOVE THE CA BOARD - YOU COULDN'T MAKE THIS UP IF YOU TRIED!

9:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"1) some board members would stop attacking fellow board members (interestingly I have observed it is the board members that are first to shout for the need for civility that are the main ones trying to attack fellow board members)"

Evan, don't expect others to elevate the tone. Take action yourself. Your lightly-veiled, parenthetical swipe is the same thing you're decrying.

This is the second time you've used your blog to take passing shots at board members on the other side of the table. Don't allow yourself to fall into the existing dysfunctional culture so easily. Be the change you seek.

"if we would develop a greater capacity to take action rather than postponing decisions."

Agreed. That should be your focus.

Sorry about your initiatives not passing, but it's clear that if this board is going to accomplish anything, members are going to have to cross the divide. All of the ideas in the world won't amount to anything if you can't build consensus.

9:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I applaud your approach.
1) Tell us what your going to do.
2) Do it.
3) Tell us what you did.
It's open and honest.

You mentioned the database months ago, stay with it, as I know you will.

10:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here here!

For all of the talk of civility by local bloggers, I'd be pleased to see them start to walk the walk.

Evan, how do your comments on "some board members" contribute in any way to the community? All you are doing is confirming the poor image the CA council has made for itself.

10:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What does "it. forbin" mean? Can someone translate?

Evan didn't say anything that was uncivil. I'd encourage him to continue to do things just as he has.

10:42 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

good job Evan.
I would like to see the searchable database but some board members are afraid of it.

9:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update.

I don't understand though why the pool sheds are necessary. Is there so little storage space in the pools' existing buildings that they can't house CA swim team gear?

If the sheds are necessary, I hope they incorporate green roofs and lower their profiles by making them like sod houses on the plains, dug halfway into the ground.

12:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've heard Barbara Russell won then, in the middle of leading CA and "working" on the 40th B-Day for Columbia, went on vacation.

Evan, is that true? If so, do you think that was right?

7:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home