Howard County Blog

A Blog on what is going on in Howard County

Sunday, July 06, 2008

H.L.Mencken

I want to pass along something I read in a biography titled " MENCKEN - The American Iconoclast, The Life and Times of the Bad Boy of Baltimore "

Harry was not an avid reader, until late one summer afternoon, while looking through the magazine Chatterbox, he began reading "The Moosehunters."

No sooner had Harry finished "The Moosehunters" than his Dad bundled the family into his carriage for the bumpy ride to Ellicott City.

This ride, his visit to Ellicott City, by his own admission was to determine the whole course of his life.

" It was gaping into the window of the old Ellicott City Times office that I got my first itch for journalism, and into that sad but gaudy trade all my days have been devoted."

After I read this I wasn't sure how to summarize my thoughts, should we close our curtains or leave them open. Then I realized it's not our curtains but our minds we should be thinking about. As Mencken wrote in his own obituary " I have believed all my life in free thought and free speech."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home