Howard County Blog

A Blog on what is going on in Howard County

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Summer Lakefront Schedule

I have been checking my Flier and the CA website for weeks looking out for the most important (to me at least) CA publication of the year: The Lakefront Summer Festival Schedule. It is finally out! If you have never been the summer free movies and concerts at the lakefront are one of Howard County's greatest civic treasures. I started going as a little kid, when my mom use to take my sister and me, a blanket, and a picnic dinner down to them. I remember seeing Star Wars outside under the stars and how amazing it was. I still go every chance I can get. What better way to spend a Friday than a free movie at the lakefront with friends, family, or that special someone. It is amazing the difersity of ages the movies bring out. Young couples, parents with their kids, empty nesters, aging parents who because the area lacks affordable housing for their kids wish they could be empty nesters, and high school students looking for a fun, cheap night out. It is a great way to bring the community together.

Check out the schedule. It is a good eclectic mix this year.

Also remember that the current plan for the redevelopment of downtown (unless you fight to change it) will have a road going over the top edge of the grass amphitheater. You have the power to safe this amazing civic space and the events we love to enjoy there.



There are solutions that have been suggested that would allow the developer to make a lot of money off this area without having to run this road over the grass amphitheater.